Table of Contents
- 1 Which test may require special chain of custody documentation when specimen is collected?
- 2 What test requires a specimen with a 9 1 ratio of blood to anticoagulant?
- 3 What happens if you mix a specimen too vigorously?
- 4 What are the warning signs of gestational diabetes?
- 5 What is the process for collecting the blood cultures?
- 6 When a test is ordered ASAP It means that?
Which test may require special chain of custody documentation when specimen is collected?
All drug tests, blood alcohol, or any other tests that have medicolegal significance should be accompanied by a chain-of-custody.
When do you perform a GTT?
When you receive a glucose tolerance test, a phlebotomist will draw a sample of your blood through a needle from a vein in your arm after you have fasted for at least eight hours, typically overnight. Then you will drink a sweet drink, and the technician will take more blood samples over the next two to three hours.
What test requires a specimen with a 9 1 ratio of blood to anticoagulant?
Venous blood specimens for coagulation assays should be collected into a tube containing 3.2% buffered sodium citrate tube (blue top tube), yielding a whole blood sample with a 9:1 blood to anticoagulant ratio. Inadequate filling of the collection tube will decrease this ratio, and may affect test results.
When collecting a blood culture specimen into a syringe and then transferring it into the blood culture bottles which should be filled first?
4. It is optimal to draw the specimen using a syringe, butterfly needle, vacutainer adaptor, and blood culture holder cap with or without the insert. The holder insert is used to place in the cap if additional tests have been ordered. Blood culture bottles should always be filled first.
What happens if you mix a specimen too vigorously?
In theory: (i) when blood tubes are mixed by gentle inversion, the risks of formation of either micro clots, clots or fibrin filaments are limited; and (ii) a vigorous mixing (or shaking) promotes erythrocyte injury or spurious hemolysis .
What is the best sample for urine collection?
To collect a urine sample you should: label a sterile, screw-top container with your name, date of birth and the date. wash your hands. start to pee and collect a sample of urine “mid-stream” in the container.
What are the warning signs of gestational diabetes?
Warning Signs of Gestational Diabetes
- Sugar in the urine.
- Unusual thirst.
- Frequent urination.
- Blurred vision.
- Vaginal, bladder and skin infections.
Which situation can Hemolyze a specimen?
Hemolysis may be due to specimen collection, processing, or transport. Hemolysis may also be due to pathological conditions, such as immune reactions, infections, medications, toxins and poisons, and therapeutic procedures. Frequently, laboratory testing can still be performed on a hemolyzed sample.
What is the process for collecting the blood cultures?
- Locate the vein to be used.
- Remove Frepp™ from package.
- Place sponge on selected venipuncture site and depress once or twice to saturate sponge.
- Use a back and forth friction scrub for at least 30 seconds.
- Allow area prepared to dry for approximately 30 seconds.
- Proceed with collection of blood.
Which word part means cold?
Medical Terminology: Integumentary Root Words
|Root Word||What It Means|
|Derm/o, Derm/a, Dermat/o||Skin|
When a test is ordered ASAP It means that?
When a test is ordered ASAP, it means that. results are needed soon for an appropriate response. A preop patient.