Table of Contents
- 1 What is a collective noun explain with examples?
- 2 What are collective nouns 5 examples?
- 3 What is a collective noun simple definition?
- 4 What are 10 collective nouns?
- 5 How many types of collective nouns are there?
- 6 What are collective nouns give two examples?
- 7 What is the collective noun for people?
- 8 Is class collective noun?
What is a collective noun explain with examples?
A collective noun is a noun that represents a collection of individuals, usually people, such as: a team (for example: eleven football players) a family (for example: mother, father and two children) a crew (for example: 100 sailors)
What are collective nouns 5 examples?
Common Collective Nouns Used for People A band of musicians. A board of directors. A choir of singers. A class of students. A crowd of people.
What are the 20 examples of collective nouns?
Here is most important 100 examples of collective nouns;
- 1.a heap of rubbish. 2.a hedge of bushes.
- 3.a library of books. 4.an outfit of clothes.
- 5.an orchard of fruit trees. 6.a pack of cards.
- 7.a packet of letters. 8.a pair of shoes.
- 9.a quiver of arrows.
- 11.a ream of paper.
- 13.a set of clubs.
- 15.a book of notes.
What is a collective noun give 3 examples?
A collective noun is a noun—such as team, committee, jury, squad, orchestra, crowd, audience, and family—that refers to a group of individuals. It is also known as a group noun. In American English, collective nouns usually take singular verb forms.
What is a collective noun simple definition?
: a noun such as “team” or “flock” that refers to a group of people or things.
What are 10 collective nouns?
- People: board, choir, class, committee, family, group, jury, panel, staff.
- Animals: flock, herd, pod, swarm.
- Things: bunch, collection, fleet, flotilla, pack, set.
How do you use collective nouns in a sentence?
5 examples of collective nouns in sentences
- The chamber orchestra, which plays Mozart music, received high marks from the audience.
- Troupe of yellow howler monkeys are feeding.
- Jack seems to be a member of a gang.
- Britney has piles of money.
- She saw a flock of sheep.
What are the 15 collective nouns?
15 Collective Nouns to Describe People – English Grammar Lesson
- An army is a group of soldiers.
- An audience is a group of spectators at an event.
- A band is a group of musicians.
- A board is a group of company executives.
- A choir is a group of singers.
- A class is a group of students.
How many types of collective nouns are there?
Nouns are words that name a person, place, thing, or idea. Collective nouns are nouns that describe a group, for example: class, family, herd, couple. These can also be called group nouns. There are about 200 collective nouns in English.
What are collective nouns give two examples?
What is the collective noun of fish?
The most common collective nouns for a group of fish in general are school and shoal. Both the words have evolved from the same common Dutch root ‘schole’ meaning a troop or crowd.
Use of Collective Noun in the Sentence. Collective nouns are considered as the singular as they show one entity. For example: animals like to live in a herd. I come first in the class. The committee agrees to perform all the responsibilities at right time. Members of this group are very active.
What is a group noun?
group, grouping(noun) any number of entities (members) considered as a unit. group, radical, chemical group(noun) (chemistry) two or more atoms bound together as a single unit and forming part of a molecule.
What is the collective noun for people?
Among the common collective nouns are committee, clergy, company, enemy, group, family, flock, public, and team. Note that collective nouns always refer to people or living creatures. Similar inanimate nouns, such as furniture and luggage, differ in that they cannot be counted individually.
Is class collective noun?
Yes, the word class is a collective noun as it represents the group of students in a school. Even school is a collective noun that is used to represent group of fishes.