Table of Contents
- 1 What connects the two independent clauses in a compound sentence?
- 2 Is a compound sentence 2 independent clauses?
- 3 What are 20 examples of compound sentences?
- 4 Can a compound sentence have 3 independent clauses?
- 5 How do you identify an independent clause?
- 6 What are dependent and independent clauses examples?
- 7 What are 10 examples of compound sentences or?
- 8 What are 5 examples of complex sentences?
- 9 How do you write a compound sentence?
- 10 What connects a compound sentence?
- 11 What are some examples of simple and compound sentences?
What connects the two independent clauses in a compound sentence?
Two independent clauses can also be joined into one compound sentence with a semicolon alone. (Note: You can use a comma between independent clauses only if you also use a coordinating conjunction.) To learn how to form a compound sentence like this, look at these simple sentences.
Is a compound sentence 2 independent clauses?
A compound sentence is composed of at least two independent clauses. There are four techniques used to join independent clauses in a compound sentence: • a comma and a coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so).
What is inserted between two independent clauses?
Use a semicolon to join two related independent clauses in place of a comma and a coordinating conjunction.
What are 20 examples of compound sentences?
20 Compound Sentences in English
- I want to lose weight, yet I eat chocolate daily.
- A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.
- I used to be snow white, but I drifted.
- We went to the mall; however, we only went window-shopping.
- She is famous, yet she is very humble.
Can a compound sentence have 3 independent clauses?
To separate two (or three) independent clauses in a compound sentence. (Compound sentences are sentences that have two (or three) independent clauses which are joined by one of the following conjunctions: for, nor, yet, so, and, but, or. The comma always appears just before the conjunction.
What are 5 examples of compound complex sentences?
Compound Complex Sentences Examples
- When I grow up, I want to be a ballerina, and my mom is proud of me.
- I will get to watch television, but first, I have to clean up the dishes after we finish eating.
- We won the game, but my uniform was muddy because it rained the entire time.
How do you identify an independent clause?
Independent Clause Defined
- They have a subject – they tell the reader what the sentence is about.
- They have an action or predicate – they tell the reader what the subject is doing.
- They express a complete thought – something happened or was said.
What are dependent and independent clauses examples?
dependent clause, independent clause. Example: Since I was tired, I decided to go to bed. When the dependent (subordinate) clause follows the independent clause, don’t use a comma before or after the subordinating conjunction (connecting word).
What are 5 examples of compound sentences?
5 Examples of Compound Sentences
- I want to lose weight, yet I eat chocolate daily.
- Michael did not like to read. She was not very good at it.
- Dr. Mark said I could come to his office on Friday or Saturday of next week.
- My favorite sport is skiing. I am vacationing in Hawaii this winter.
What are 10 examples of compound sentences or?
10 Compound Sentences in English
- Our car broke down.
- They spoke to him in English, but she responded in Spanish.
- She goes to the beach, and she takes her cat.
- Although Michael reads novels, Joly reads comics.
- 5.As Alex was arriving to work, he realized he forgot his lunch.
What are 5 examples of complex sentences?
Common Complex Sentence Examples
- Because my coffee was too cold, I heated it in the microwave.
- Although he was wealthy, he was still unhappy.
- She returned the computer after she noticed it was damaged.
- Whenever prices goes up, customers buy less products.
What are 10 examples of compound sentences?
How do you write a compound sentence?
To form a compound sentence, you take two independent clauses, which could serve as simple sentences by themselves, and link them with a conjunction. The most common type of conjunction used is the coordinating conjunction. There are seven coordinating conjunctions in English: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, and so.
What connects a compound sentence?
When we take two or more independent clauses and join them together, we form a compound sentence. We usually connect the clauses with a comma and a coordinating conjunction, but you can also join them with a semicolon.
What is an example of a compound sentence?
The definition of a compound sentence is a sentence with at least two independent causes that could each be their own sentence. An example of a compound sentence is “I must go to sleep soon, since I’m getting up early in the morning.”. YourDictionary definition and usage example.
What are some examples of simple and compound sentences?
A simple sentence could have compound subjects and compound verbs. Examples: Jack and Jill went up to the hill. Snow White and Cinderella danced the night away. Justin sings and dances in the studio room every single day. The management and staff apologized for their misconduct.